Monday, September 16, 2013

Phelps Mountain, September 14, 2013 - Trip Report

Ten of us started from the Adirondack Loj at 8:45 A.M.  The lead bunch were back at the Loj at 4:00 P.M.  I was the slowest and didn't make it back until 6:00 P.M. When we were going up the steep, rocky parts of the trail, I was worried about how I was going to be able to come down, but coming down was easier than going up. The mountains were very misty/cloudy which obscured much of the view from the top. We could not see Mt. Marcy for example. As we approached the top, it seemed  that some flora looked alpine, and I regret that I didn't take pictures. The clarity of the water in Phelps Creek was startling.

Phelps Mountain is rated as moderate hike. I'd hate to experience what a difficult hike is like. While I would climb Cascade Mountain again, for example, I have no intention of ever climbing Phelps again.

Lessons Learned: On this hike, my undershirt was made of synthetic fiber. But I wore a cotton t-shirt over that, and a cotton-hooded sweatshirt over that. On the summit, we were resting and exposed to the wind, which was blowing through to my skin--all of which was mostly wet from sweat anyway. To protect myself, I threw on my jacket as well. The inside of the rain jacket got soaking wet as well.  Kelly (a member of our hiking group) told me that all of my layers should be synthetic. Since we go right from the trail head to the pub in Lake Placid, the next time we go hiking, I am going to have put post-hike clothes in the car trunk, so I don't hypothermia in the pub.   

Sample Photos From the Hike:







No comments:

Post a Comment