Friday, August 17, 2012

Training II


With our first hike set for September 15, I’ve been in a panic to lose weight and get into shape. The template that I have been using is to get up early and walk for a minimum of 30 minutes.  On most days, I do a few exercises with a kettle bell. I also do dead lifts with an Olympic weight set a few times a week.  I always finish with stretching—I have a bad lower back, and over the years, I’ve identified a number of yoga postures and stretches that work wonders for my back.  Most of all, I love the relaxed state that results.

But on most days I wake up late and am unable to do the whole template. Often I am just too tired or too busy. I have three different routes for walking that are 30, 45, and 80 minutes each. The route that I take depends on my mood and how much time I have. Since the hike idea, whenever I walk, if there is grass available, I walk on grass rather than pavement.  Walking on grass or dirt takes more energy and balance because it is uneven. It also exercises the feet an ankles much more.

As a guy who sits at a desk all day, I am completely out of shape.  I can’t do the kettle bell or dead lift too hard without hurting my joints. After walking and/or the weights, even if I am short on time, I will do at least a yoga down-dog posture--my spine, shoulders, wrists, and ankles need it.  I vary the routine every day for cross training. I intend to get my bike out of the garage and add that to the mix, for additional cross training.

Any of the kettle bell exercises that are done standing up, which is most of them, will help strengthen the legs as well as develop balance. The swing is good for the legs, back, core, and cardio.

The dead lift is the most underrated weight lift. It impacts every muscle in the body.  It’s perfect for developing leg strength for hiking, as well as back and core strength for carrying the back pack.
                                                                                      
The ability to stretch further gives you more effective strength. When hiking, you will be stretching, twisting, and tensing muscles and joints in positions that you otherwise wouldn’t. Walking on pavement, weight lifting, calisthenics, and so on, put the body through a limited few fixed forms. Yoga exercises the body in a far greater variety of positions. Practicing yoga will help reduce fatigue and the risk of injury during hiking as well as minimize muscle and joint soreness afterwards. The yoga breathing exercises will help your cardio vascular system as well. Learn to breathe. It’s a beautiful thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment